Overlooked And Underappreciated: The Top Five Underrated Football Players
Football is one of the most popular sports in the world, and as with any sport, certain players receive more attention than others. While players like Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Kylian Mbappe will always dominate the headlines, many other players have made a significant impact on the game but have not received the recognition they deserve.
Here, we take a look at five of the most underappreciated football players in recent memory.
- Keylor Navas – Nottingham Forrest (loan) Keylor Navas began his professional career with Costa Rican club Deportivo Saprissa before making the move to the Spanish lower tiers. After a standout performance in the 2014 World Cup, Navas secured a move to Real Madrid, where he displaced Iker Casillas as the team’s No.1 goalkeeper.
Navas went on to win 11 trophies during his five-year stint with the club, including three consecutive Champions League titles. Despite his accomplishments, Navas was often overlooked in favour of more high-profile players.
- Olivier Giroud – AC Milan Olivier Giroud is one of the most underrated players in recent memory. Although he has a stellar record for both club and country, his talent is often eclipsed by others, especially on the international stage.
Giroud didn’t play for France’s youth teams, and at age 25, in 2011, he received his first senior cap. Despite this, he has gone on to make 111 appearances for Les Bleus, scoring 46 goals. He has also won several major trophies, including the Premier League, FA Cup, and Europa League.
- Thomas Muller – Bayern Munich Thomas Muller is one of the most underappreciated footballers of the past decade. Despite his many achievements, including his Champions League and World Cup victories, he does not receive the credit he deserves.
Muller may not have the same spectacular playing style or impressive individual stats as some other players, but his contributions to his team’s success are apparent. He has been an integral part of Bayern Munich’s success over the years, and his ability to score crucial goals in important matches is often overlooked.
- Sergio Busquets – FC Barcelona Sergio Busquets is Barcelona’s greatest unsung hero of the last decade. Despite winning over 30 trophies for both club and country, the defensive midfielder is underappreciated.
Busquets is often overshadowed by the likes of Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta, and Xavi, but his contributions to the team cannot be understated. He is one of the best defensive midfielders in the world and is crucial to Barcelona’s possession-based playing style.
- Angel Di Maria – Juventus Angel Di Maria is one of the most underappreciated football players in recent memory. Despite playing for some of the best teams in the world, including Real Madrid, Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus his heroics often go unnoticed.
Di Maria recently inspired Argentina to its third World Cup triumph, winning a penalty and scoring a goal in the final against France. However, his name was missing when it came to the attention given to his peers. Di Maria’s ability to create chances and score goals is often overlooked, but he is one of the best-attacking midfielders in the world.
Conclusion Football is a team sport, and while certain players may receive more attention than others, it is important to recognize the contributions of all players. The five players mentioned above have all made significant contributions to their teams, but their efforts have often gone underappreciated. It is important to recognize and celebrate the achievements of all football players, not just high-profile ones.