Filling Benzema’s Shoes: 5 Players Who Could Be Real Madrid’s Next Star Forward
Real Madrid’s iconic striker, Karim Benzema, is exhibiting indications of decline for the first time in his prestigious career, though he has performed well in the 2022/23 season, he hasn’t been exceptional due to injuries. Despite being the reigning Ballon d’Or winner, he may not be able to perform at the highest level each week anymore. Thus, the team should consider finding a long-term replacement for their No. 9.
However, the club did not pursue adding reinforcements to their striker position last summer because they were not interested in any of the deals, except for Gabriel Jesus, who was not viable due to Spanish football’s EU passport rule.
As a result, here are five potential replacements for the legendary Real Madrid striker. When the Champions League knockouts begin, Benzema should still have a significant influence on the current campaign.
Real Madrid must contemplate the future and start planning for life without their all-time leading scorer.
Let’s look at five potential long-term replacements:
- Endrick: A 16-year-old Brazilian who joined Real Madrid this winter and has the potential to be a star in the future.
- Erling Haaland: The best striker in the world right now, who Real Madrid hopes to sign when his rumoured release clause becomes available in a couple of seasons.
- Victor Osimhen: The best striker in Serie A this season, who could be a great summer signing for Real Madrid.
- Dušan Vlahović: A technically gifted striker committed to Juventus, but Real Madrid may try to coax him to Madrid.
- Kylian Mbappé: The most talented footballer in the world and a left winger, but he could potentially move up top to play alongside Vinícius Júnior or Rodrygo Goes.
Real Madrid should consider these options as Benzema is struggling with fitness. The team needs a top striker to compete at the highest level and maintain their dominance in football.