Available Careers For Business, Public Administration, Economics, Political & Social Sciences Graduates At UNDP
BackgroundDiversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing the representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the leading United Nations organization fighting to end the injustice of poverty, inequality, and climate change. Working with a broad network of experts and partners in 170 countries, UNDP helps nations to build integrated, lasting solutions for people and the planet. UNDP is a longstanding technical partner of governments, civil society and communities providing advice on law, policy, governance, and human rights. As an integrator across policy, programmes and organisations in the UN system, UNDP has partnerships at the highest levels of government, with law-making bodies such as parliaments, judiciary, national human rights institutions and with civil society organisations. #WeBelongAfrica (WBA) is coordinated by UNDP’s Africa Region HIV, Health & Development (HHD) team.UNDP’s #WeBelongAfrica Programme (#WBA) is a regional initiative that integrates two UNDP projects, namely the “Inclusive Governance Initiative” and the “Southern Africa Young Key Population Initiative”. #WBA is designed to support state entities in sub-Saharan Africa to become increasingly accountable and responsive to, and inclusive of, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people (LGBTI) and Young Key Populations, which in turn will contribute to better laws, more responsive public sector services, and social norms that affirm these populations’ perspectives, needs and rights.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Collection, analysis and presentation of information for support to programme implementation.
- Supports communication and collaboration between the Programme Specialist-#WBA and Implementing Partners and stakeholders.
- Prepares correspondence, reports, presentations and other written materials from oral instructions and written communication.
- Support the preparation of information for an annual audit of the projects.
- Operational support to training, activities and interventions for the #WBA project
- Compiles, analyses, and summarises data pertaining to the project, and maintains records, documents and work plans for the monitoring of project implementation.
- Provides administrative support to the WBA Project.
- Provides logistical support for all #WBA activities including managing procurement and financial transactions in Quantum.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is a pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open-minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in the face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organise, prioritise and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
- Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
FinanceFinancial Planning and Budgeting:
Ability to create and manage processes to achieve UNDP’s long and short-term financial goals, including through planning, budgeting, forecasting, analysing and reporting.
Digital & InnovationCreative facilitation:
Ability to swiftly build rapport with participants and create a safe space where they feel comfortable to share their views, concerns, experiences and reflections, supporting this with a range of tools to stimulate active participation.
Social Media ManagementCommunication:
Ability to represent and promote the UNDP brand in virtual communities and networks.
Relationship Management: Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain and/or strengthen working relationships, trust and mutual understanding.
EducationRequired Skills and Experience
- High school diploma with 5 years of experience or;
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Public Administration, Economics, Political or Social Sciences with 2 years of work experience.
- A minimum of two years of experience in Human rights, Key Populations or Health-related projects is a requirement.
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including LGBTI, and authorities at different levels.
- Ability to work with tight deadlines and be available for long working hours during times of peak work.
- Ability to accommodate and adapt to changing working environments.
- Strong writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; culturally and socially sensitive;
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel
- Previous UNDP/LPP experience would be an added advantage
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database Packages
Language: Fluency in English with good verbal and written skills.
- Knowledge of the national languages such as Ndebele or Shona would be an asset.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card holders)Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional-level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant Information About UNDP Rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job descriptions, experience and educational requirements.Non-discriminationUNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status. Scam warning
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
To apply click HERE